Your attorneys for a complex world

Practice Areas

Family Law

Life happens. Sieloff and Associates, P.A. is here to help you when you need us. Sieloff and Associates, P.A. has extensive experience in the area of family law. The Minnesota firm provides legal services in the following areas of family law:


  • Divorce (dissolution of marriage), including both contested and uncontested cases
  • Post-decree (post-divorce) motions
  • Paternity determinations
  • Child custody determinations and modifications
  • Parenting time (visitation) establishment and modifications
  • Child support calculations and modifications
  • Spousal maintenance (alimony) determinations and modifications
  • Property division (both marital and non-marital property)
  • Preparation of Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDRO) in connection with the dissolution of marriage
  • Preparation of antenuptial agreements (prenuptial agreement)
  • Adoptions

The firm’s attorneys and paralegals have extensive experience in family law matters. Such experience provides a critical foundation for delivering fast, quality and low cost services to the firm’s clients.

The Minnesota firm has developed and utilizes numerous questionnaires and worksheets to reduce the cost of many of the family law matters and which also assists clients in preparing necessary documentation in an efficient manner.

A large percentage of the firm’s day-to-day activities relates to family law and as part of those activities the firm also examines income tax issues in dissolution of marriages including taxable and tax-free divisions of real estate, pensions, retirement assets and other property, spousal maintenance and dependency tax exemptions.

Attorney Ron Sieloff has made several presentations on family law issues to attorneys in continuing legal education programs. Ron was a lobbyist for nine years (1987-1995) at the Minnesota Legislature representing R-KIDS of Minnesota, an organization advocating the interests of non-custodial parents and second and blended families.

Tax Law

Life happens.  Sieloff and Associates, P.A. is her to help you when you need us.  Sieloff and Associates, P.A. has extensive experience in the area of family law.
The Minnesota firm provides legal services in the following areas of family law:

  • Individual income tax
  • Corporate tax
  • Partnership tax
  • Fiduciary tax
  • Gift and estate tax returns
  • Non-filers
  • Levies/liens
  • Innocent spouse
  • Refund claim
  • Debt discharge income
  • Offers in Compromise
  • Payment agreements
  • Tax audits
  • Tax appeals

Sieloff and Associates, P.A. uses computer software for the preparation of returns and projections of income and taxes. The firm employs an IRS enrolled agent who handles many of the tax matters.  The firm also prepares gift and estate tax returns as part of the firm’s probate and trust practice

Elder Law/Medical Assistance Planning


Do you need assistance in the preparation of a will, healthcare declaration, or other document? Do you have an elderly parent who may be entering a nursing home soon? Do you want to give gifts to family members or loved ones but are unsure if you should due to tax consequences or because you may not be in compliance with the laws regarding Medical Assistance. If you have questions like these, Sieloff and Associates, P.A. can help you with:

  • Estate planning (preparation of wills, trusts, healthcare declarations, and powers of attorneys)
  • Medical Assistance Applications
  • Asset Preservation, Asset Transfers, and Giving Gifts
  • Compliance with government regulations and rules and
  • Planning for Nursing home care and home health care.

Real Estate Law

Whether you are buying, selling or have a question about your property, Sieloff and Associates, P.A. can help. The firm practices in various areas of real estate law including the following:

  • Purchase and sale of real property
  • Easements
  • Construction law
  • Real estate litigation

Estate Planning

Planning for death can be frightening and difficult and is not something you want to think about. However, it is something that should be done in order to make sure your family is taken care of after your death and your assets are protected.

Sieloff and Associates, P.A. prepares Wills, Trusts, Health Care Declarations, Power of Attorneys and other estate planning documents. The firm has a set price (flat fee) for the completion of basic Wills, Powers of Attorney and Living Wills. The firm also prepares more complicated Wills and Trusts for a reasonable cost.

The firm has streamlined this area of practice so that the client only needs to meet with the attorney one time to execute the documents. The firm has an order form, which includes a fee schedule available for this purpose. To obtain a copy of this order form and a copy of an “estate analysis checklist” please visit our Resources page or call or email the firm to have these forms sent to you.

Business Law

Are you thinking about starting your own small business, but don’t know where to start? Sieloff and Associates, P.A. assists persons seeking to create business entities of various types. The firm has extensive experience in creating the following business entities:

  • C-Corporations
  • S-Corporations
  • Partnerships (including general partnerships and limited partnerships)
  • Limited Liability Companies

Sieloff and Associates, P.A. prepares and drafts all the necessary documents for the formation of the aforementioned business entities including:

  • Articles of Incorporation (for all corporations)
  • Articles of Organization (for limited liability companies)
  • Partnership Agreements
  • IRS Form SS-4 (for Employer Identification Numbers)
  • Bylaws (for corporations)
  • Minutes of the First Board of Directors Meeting (for corporations)
  • Member Control Agreements (for limited liability companies)
  • Operating Agreements (for limited liability companies)
  • Applications for Minnesota tax identification numbers
  • Various other business start-up documents and other documents to be subsequently filed with the Secretary of State

Sieloff and Associates, P.A. also renders legal needs for persons who are going through voluntary or involuntary life changes either because of changes in employment or changes in family situations. Retirement, a new family, a new job or other life changes in a client’s life create a need for legal services and legal advice. We’re here to help you though this process.

Probate Law

The passing of a family member or friend is a very emotional time in one’s life and completing the probate process can be difficult. Sieloff and Associates, P.A. can help you throughout the probate process by guiding you through the probate steps. Probate is the process of transferring the decedent’s assets as set forth in the decedent’s will or if the decedent did not have a will, transferring the assets as determined by law based on family relationships. The person who passed away is known as the decedent and after a person dies, their assets are considered to be the estate.

Whether the decedent’s estate needs to go through the probate process is determined by the type of assets owned by the decedent at the time of their death. If the decedent owned probate assets, these assets must be transferred through the probate process. Non-probate assets do not need to be transferred through the probate process. Probate assets are assets that were owned only by the decedent and did not have a beneficiary named. Examples of probate assets are bank accounts, investment accounts, real estate and vehicles that were owned only in decedent’s name. Non-probate assets are assets that have a beneficiary or were owned jointly by the decedent and someone else. These assets automatically transfer to the person who is the beneficiary or co-owner of the asset. Examples of non-probate assets are life insurance policies, retirement accounts and jointly owned bank accounts, real estate and vehicles.

Sieloff and Associates, P.A. handles matters in probate court, including:

  • Contested and uncontested testate proceedings. If the decedent had a will, the decedent died testate.
  • Contested and uncontested intestate proceedings. If the decedent did not have a will, the decedent died intestate.

Testate Proceedings – Decedent Had a Will. In cases in which the decedent had a will, the probate process involves the transfer of assets as directed in the will to the devisees. A devisee is a person who is awarded property of the decedent because the person was named in the decedent’s will. A devisee can be an heir, a person not related to the decedent or in some cases, a charity or other company. The will also usually appoints a personal representative. The personal representative is in charge of the administration of the estate, including but not limited to:

  • Serving and filing the necessary court documents;
  • Maintaining records of the assets and debts, including any bank account transactions;
  • Making distributions of assets during and at the completion of the probate process;
  • Transferring any necessary assets that may need to be sold;
  • Determining the division of personal property; and
  • Paying any claims against the estate made by creditors.

Intestate Proceedings – Decedent Did Not Have a Will. If the decedent passed without having a will, the assets are usually transferred to the decedent’s heirs based on their relationship to the decedent. An heir is a person related to the decedent who is entitled to inherit property of the decedent by law. Since the decedent had no will, no personal representative was appointed by the decedent. Therefore, a family member or friend may petition the court to be appointed personal representative. The proposed personal representative must state the reason they have an interest in the decedent’s estate and the reason they should have priority over other individuals who may also have a reason to be appointed personal representative.

The probate process can be demanding and confusing. It is often difficult for individuals to know what needs to be done after a family member or friend passes. The first step in the probate process for the proposed personal representative is to petition the court for probate of the will (or in cases in which no will exists, to determine the heirs of the decedent) and for appointment of the personal representative. Once the petition is filed, a court hearing will be held to legally appoint the personal representative. After the personal representative is appointed by the court, there are several forms that must be served and filed on the interested parties and any known creditors of the estate. Interested parties are the heirs of a decedent who did not have a will and the devisees of a decedent who had a will. At the end of the probate process, the personal representative makes any final distributions and petitions the court to close the estate. The time between appointment of the personal representative and closing of the estate varies with each probate matter. The forms that must be completed depend on several different factors, such as whether or not the decedent left a will, if there is a surviving spouse, if the decedent had children and if the decedent had any children who passed prior to decedent.

Whether you are appointed personal representative, want to challenge the appointment of a personal representative or validity of a will, or feel as though you are not being properly notified in a probate proceeding in which another individual is appointed personal representative, we can help you through the process. Call Sieloff and Associates, P.A. at 651-454-2000 for a free telephone inquiry.

Civil Litigation

This section is currently under constructiuon


Sieloff and Associates, P.A. assists clients with the appointment of a guardian or conservator for a person incapable of managing his or her affairs.

Guardianship – A guardian is a person the court has granted legal authority to care for the personal and property interests of another person. That person is called a ward. The ward is incapable of caring for his or her own interests due to various reasons but are usually due to incapacity or disability. The Guardian reports to the court every year with a personal well-being report that informs the court of the ward’s status.

Conservatorship – A conservator is a person the court has granted legal authority to manage the estate of another person. That person is called a protected person. The protected person is incapable of managing his or her estate due to various reasons, but usually due to incapacity or disability. The Conservator reports to the court every year with an annual accounting (the money in and out) and other various forms to ensure the protected persons estate is being well managed.